Monday, March 16, 2009

Packing, eating, training, etc...

A few things:

#1. To avoid blowing my training timeline, I NEED to do my 60 mile ride next weekend. I'll be in NYC drinking beer and agonizing over whether to draft Jose Offerman or Dante Bichette in a fantasy baseball draft the weekend after that, and after that it's April and this needs to be done before the end of March, according to the arbitrary, meaningless goal I set for myself.

#2. I've plateaued in terms of training, I think. My rides haven't gotten any shorter over the past few weeks. After a fairly impressive 22 pounds lost thus far, I seem to have stalled out in that regard as well. Diagnosis?

I've still been eating nothing but garbage food. Granted, less of it, and since I still bike 100+ miles per week I was getting away with it for awhile, but unfortunately it's time to take the next step. Right now my diet basically consists of dollar burgers from the various fast food places (FYI: McDoubles are SO inferior to Double Stacks it's not even funny), Crystal Lite, Granola Bars (not the good kind either, the Quaker Chocolate Chip kind) and the occasional multivitamin to stave off a bad case of scurvy. That's no longer going to cut it.

So there's something to look forward to, folks. Anyone who read my vegetarian blog back during Lent 08 knows what a raving lunatic I turn into when you take away my fast food for a few weeks (never mind 4 months)

#3. I'm all done packing stuff. I'm also all done buying various camping equipment. I gotta say, I'm sick of buying Mountain Hardwear this and biodegradeable that. Here's my complete packing list. This is everything I'm bringing with me.

  1. Sleeping Bag (20 Degree rated)
  2. Sleeping Pad
  3. Tent
  4. Footprint for tent
  5. Water Bottles
  6. Flashlight
  7. Pocketknife
  8. Bungees
  9. Maps
  10. Towel
  11. Nylon Cord (50 feet)
  12. Headlight
  13. Taillight
  14. Helmet
  15. Cable Lock
  16. Gloves
  17. Clipless shoes
  18. 2 Pairs of bike Shorts
  19. 1 Pair of Underwear *
  20. 1 Pair leg warmers
  21. 3 Pairs of socks
  22. 1 Waterproof Rain Coat
  23. 6 Rubber Bands (to put on my pant legs to keep them from getting caught in the crank)
  24. 1 Fleece Pullover
  25. Tire Patch Kit
  26. Tire Levers
  27. C02 Pump
  28. Multi Tool
  29. Chain Lube
  30. Chain Tool
  31. Spoke Wrench
  32. Presta Adapter
  33. Duct Tape
  34. Safety Pins
  35. Plastic Ties
  36. 3 Inner Tubes
  37. Spare Tire
  38. 6 Spokes
  39. 2 Chain Links
  40. 1 Cyclocomputer Battery
  41. Eating Utensils
  42. Sunglasses
  43. Camp Soap (Biodegradeable "everything" soap)
  44. Water Purifying Tablets
  45. Tweezers/Nail Clippers
  46. Pills (Not the fun kind, some multivitamins and some Sominex to make sure I get to sleep early)
  47. Gold Bond
  48. Book
  49. Rain Cover for rear panniers
  50. Laptop
  51. Digital Camera
  52. NiMH Batteries (8 AA 12 AAA) plus charger
  53. Ipod Touch (music/backup computer)
  54. Cell Phone
  55. Food (1-2 Days worth)
  56. 2 racing jerseys
  57. 1 pair Zip-Off pants (pants that can turn into shorts)
  58. 2 T-Shirts
  59. Rain Pants
  60. Speakers (For hands-free listening to Car-Talk or watching movies on my Ipod)
  61. GPS
  62. Wool Cap (for any nights my sleeping bag isn't going to cut it.)
Sounds like a lot of stuff, right? Well look at it all laid out (click the pictures for a better idea. Blogger has the worst thumbnail system ever):



Looks pretty unwieldy, right? Kinda like cramming Rosie O'Donnel into one of those wetsuits Michael Phelps wore when he won 9 billion gold medals or cured cancer or whatever he did. However, hand to God, it all fits. Check it out.



It's a kind of tight fit, but everything goes in there without having to jump on the bags or anything like that. I might still install a small handlebar bag to have some extra breathing room, but if I can avoid that I wil.

So yep, packing and camping stuff is done. All I need to do now is get the bike components swapped out and we're made in the shade, folks.







* "WHAT?!?" Hear me out, bike shorts aren't meant to be worn with underwear. The underwear is strictly for days off, which are going to be few and far between

2 comments:

  1. I have that exact same camp soap! Definitely going to need that. You should do a post on your cyclocomputer battery, that sounds interesting.

    I was going to say you forgot to put condoms on your list but then I read the underwear thing which probably rules out the need for them. The good news is that it increases your odds of making it disease-free through Las Vegas and may net me a few bucks in the betting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. machete. Rarely have I gone anywhere and not wished for a machete for some reason or other. And I'm sure you could find somewhere to stick it :-) Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete